The Anacortes Museum was originally designed as a Carnegie Library. The cornerstone was laid in 1909, and the building opened to the public as a library on Dec. 26, 1910. The Carnegie Library became the home of the Anacortes Museum in 1968, and in 1977 was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Unfortunately, we didn’t have the same ADA requirements in 1909 and the museum was difficult to access for some with disabilities. Quantum built an elevator on the exterior and blended it into the existing building, allowing everyone to enjoy the Carnegie Gallery on the second floor.